Danger rip current
• Danger rip current
What if at the coast you suddenly began to refer to the depth and go to the beach it does not work? We will tell you about one of the main dangers of marine recreation.
Meet the rip current
The holiday season is most often flashed the news about tourists who were killed near the shore. Many people think that the victims were in a state of alcoholic intoxication. In fact, such a fate may even threaten the professional swimmers.
Danger lurks suddenly: you are floating along the shore or just stand on the chest to the waist or knee-deep in the water, and suddenly the dismal tide pulls you to the depth and float back does not work. You move away from the coast farther. It is here that covers panic.
This phenomenon has many names: Thrower or rip current, rip, rock wave Tyagun. It occurs in all parts of the world: from the Baltic Sea to the coast of Australia, both in the oceans and the seas. How is the beach - sand and pebble - does not matter. But the greater risk, where less depth and there are external constraints: the spit, shoals, islets, coral reefs.
Near the shore at high tide the water formed a "corridor". The main body of water begins to move away from the shore, but on the part of the sea it presses surf. Low tide is a gap in the incoming flow, and it directs the whole weight of the effluent water. Incoming waves is extruded into the channel located in front of the water and carry them everything in its path.
Most often, this "corridor" is quite narrow - 10 meters wide, and within it moves at a speed of 4-5 km / h. But there may be rips width of 50 m and more, and the length -. Speed up to 200-400 m in them at times up to 15 km / h! However, they are rare, mainly in the neck estuaries or narrow straits at low tide.
The most insidious depth for non-swimmers - on the chest. Yet it seems that the shore close by and nothing happens, but it is at this depth ends rigid coupling with the bottom and even with a weak rip current stand up no longer happens.
Rip current are in any weather and at any time of the year.
- visible channel boiling water perpendicular to the shore
- water areas that differ in tone from the rest of the surface of the sea
- sea foam, vegetation, algae, which move in the open sea at a certain speed
- perpendicular to the shore breaks in a continuous strip of tidal waves
- red flags and signs on the beach "Dangerous Rip Curent!"
And most important: unfortunately, most of the rips does not manifest itself. Understand that hit the rip current, can only be caught up in it.
The rules of survival
Panic - your enemy number one. People are dying not because the rip current carries them away from the shore, but because, panicking, start paddling to the shore, losing stamina. Remember this.
- Rip - not the maelstrom, he does not will drag you to the depth, it drags along the surface.
- Rip narrow. Most often, the width of the "corridor" of 10-20 m and even less, ie, swim a little bit along the coast, you are sure of the course will be selected. Swim parallel to the beach for as long as a period of not weaken.
- Rip always ends. If within a broad (and sometimes, as we mentioned above, it can reach up to 50 m), and get out of it, sailing along the coast, does not work, stop spending power and let the river carry you farther from shore. Rip current usually stops after 3-4 minutes. After this it is necessary to sail at 50-100 m to the side and then to return.
- Go back to the shore with a break. If a leg cramp, pinch yourself in a place where reduces muscles.
- Since the width of the rip current near the coast more, the back, swim not at right angles to the shore, and taking the left or right (depending on which side you were on the rip).
If you see that someone hit the rip current, do not overestimate your own abilities: throw into the water ball, a stick or any other object with a high floating ability, which will help the victim to stay on the water, call for help rescuers or call the emergency services.