Why can not cook in vegetable oil
• Why can not cook in vegetable oil
Fry or roast - that's the question. Although some intrigue here: most people do not even non-fried food is. And all quite well, until the hand is not reaching for a bottle of sunflower oil. Why is an urgent need to "tie" with vegetable oils and how to replace them, we shall understand below.
On the dangers of fried and fatty heard everything. But it seems so empty myths. And on the food habits of most people's knowledge of these things well, it does not affect. And yet, to convince the lower oil consumption once again try two specialists from around the world: the famous British cardiologist Indian origin Asim Malhotra (Aseem Malhotra) and science journalist Michael Mosley (Michael Mosley).
Michael Mosley (Michael Mosley) fights with vegetable oils.
Both men have dedicated their lives in general health and cardiology in particular, both are trying gradually to "fight" with vegetable oil. Both recognize that globally make it almost impossible: the production of vegetable oils has become a multibillion-dollar business long before the harm these substances has been proven in the laboratory serious.
But the beginning of his article, Dr. Malhotra cites an example from the life: visiting your favorite Indian restaurant, he always asks the waiter to cook curry with melted ghee butter, not the usual vegetable. More 50 years ago in every Indian family roasted exclusively ghee. But with the popularity of sunflower oil and kukurznogo usual product was gradually eliminated from the diet. Coincidence or not, but this trend came to India the growth of obesity, Type II diabetes and cancer.
As the researchers explain, the assertion that the fry in vegetable oil - "healthier" than butter or even lard - it's just a myth, popularized by large corporations with the help of fast food chains.
The main trouble oils - oxidation. It happens to all oils and fats when heated to high temperatures. In the reaction with oxygen is released new material: lipid peroxides and, most importantly, aldehydes. Eating latest proven increases the risk of cancer and dementia.
Surprisingly, in course of laboratory experiments it was established that during frying sunflower, rapeseed and corn oils isolated aldehydes even greater than butter and goose fat. Although the latter is traditionally considered a "harmful". Apparently, in vain.
to But you can not be all that bad. What cardiologists recommend?
1. Reject the sunflower and rapeseed oil, or reduced their use to a minimum.
2. Never fry / reheated using one and the same oil twice - aldehydes thus increases more than two times.
3. Always store the oil in a dark closet, and preferably an opaque container. This will help to slow down the harmful oxidation process.
4. Alternatively fry in olive oil. Though not necessarily to choose a more expensive version of the cold-pressed - when frying it will not make any difference.
5. It is better to cook in butter, coconut or Indian ghee. They show better heat stability, so that potentially have a lower carcinogenic status.