The wooden palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in Kolomna
• The wooden palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in Kolomna
The former royal residence Kolomenskoye is located along the right bank of the Moskva River between the metro stations "Kolomenskoye" and "Kashira". It is the most famous landmark of Moscow, located outside its center. Kolomenskoye village was founded by residents of the city of Kolomna, fleeing from Batu Khan. During the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich Kolomenskoye it became a royal residence. In 1660, a wooden palace was built here. It happens in the palace of foreigners constantly admired its rich decoration. Contemporaries called Kolomna Palace "eighth wonder of the world."
Despite the fact that the original palace was planned only as a summer residence, he became the favorite names not only of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, but his successors. The future Empress Elizabeth Petrovna was born in Kolomna in 1709. Tsar Peter I spent on the estate of his youth.
The Palace existed before the coming to power of Empress Catherine II, who ordered it dismantled. Modern wooden palace in Kolomenskoye is the layout, built on the original drawings.
The wooden palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in Kolomna. Engraving.
During his reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich knocked down all the wooden buildings in Kolomna, and in their place erected a new wooden palace, which became famous for his strange, dreamlike like roofs. The palace was an outstanding example of Russian wooden architecture and striking in its beauty of all who saw it.
The palace, which consisted of about 250 rooms and a maze of corridors, has been decorated with wood carvings and various decorative elements, such as hipped roof and other add-ons on the roof of unusual shapes, pinwheels and gilded figures of double-headed eagles.
After transferring the capital to St. Petersburg wooden palace fell into disrepair, and Catherine II refused to make it his Moscow residence. The Empress made an attempt to restore the palace and ordered an estimate, but later she changed her mind.
In 1768, the wooden tower was demolished by order of Empress Catherine II, and a more modern stone palace was built instead.
Built Catherine Palace, in turn, was destroyed in 1872.
Fortunately, the original blueprints, which was built a wooden palace of Alexei Mikhailovich, survived, and in 2010 the Moscow government has been able to build a replica of the palace in full size.
A modern replica is located approximately one kilometer south of the spot where stood the wooden palace of Alexei Mikhailovich, near the stone church of the 16th century. Recreated palace is built of concrete and lined with wooden logs.
In addition to the palace of Alexei Mikhailovich layout, on the territory of the museum-reserve Kolomenskoye you can also see many old wooden buildings brought from different parts of the former Soviet Union.