30 interesting facts about Amsterdam
• 30 interesting facts about Amsterdam
Have you been to Amsterdam? If yes, then this city will never leave your heart ... And if not, then read these facts that make Amsterdam add to your list of cities that are definitely worth visiting!
1. On Dam Square - Amsterdam's main tourist area of the movement does not stop in any day of the year at any time of the day. Some tourists look a little ... strange.
2. Ajax always carry a raincoat, because of the proximity of the sea the weather in Amsterdam is unpredictable, and rain may begin at any time. With umbrella on the bike (which is the main transportation in the city) is not particularly trains, but in a raincoat - just right.
3. 30 April Queen's Day, the whole town dresses up in royal orange.
4. Amsterdam - the city of canals, which is spanned by more than 600 bridges. Most interesting - Blauburg and Maher Brug ( "Skinny Bridge").
5. The most enjoyable way to travel to Amsterdam - on a bicycle. The locals there are more than half a million "iron horses"! Tourists can rent bikes directly in the city center.
6. As you know, Amsterdam is located below sea level and protected from his dam. According to legend, once the sea found a small hole in the stone, which is under the water mass pressure could grow, and then ... bye and the dam, and a beautiful city. But this threat has noticed passing by and the boy kept his head - plugged the hole with your finger, he began to call for help. The city was saved! 7. Amsterdam - the birthplace of several world-famous beers, for example, Grolsch. This beer is brewed in the country in 1615 by the exclusive Dutch recipe. It is served in a 250 gram glasses with foam cap and a half inches.
8. 55% amsterdamtsev speak three or more languages.
9. The basis of the well-being of the city - beer. In 1323 the Dutch governor has prospered this port city for the convenience of beer imports.
10. In the XVIII century the city council, in order to reduce noise, forbidden to move around the cobbled streets in a carriage. So they had to ride in a sleigh in summer.
11. City nearly gave his name to New York. The Dutch colony of New Amsterdam was renamed New York in 1664.
12. The Dutch sex industry is estimated at more than $ 2,000,000. This is divided roughly in half between pornography and prostitution.
13. Amsterdam - one of the safest cities in Europe, but we should beware of the usual petty scams and pickpockets. The police here are also very quiet, but it is always better to have a passport (required by law, and tourists are sometimes asked to show an identity document).
14. The number and the "cat's ship" Among the 2400 houseboats in urban canals, is home to homeless animals.
15. In the Netherlands Maritime Museum you can see the unique exhibit - gray with a white coating a piece of skin, once belonged to Lieutenant Jan van Speyku. In 1831, when the Belgians defeated the Dutch fleet, Lieutenant refused to lower the flag. Instead, he threw his cigar into the powder magazine blew up himself and the ship and crew.
16. In Amsterdam, there are the most incredible museums, including those devoted to the history of sex, drugs, art, tattoos and t. N.
17. Amsterdam is often compared to Venice, but the canals and bridges is much more. The city has about 1200 bridges over 150 channels and 90 islands. Amsterdam is entirely built on huge pilings driven into the ground under the water column.
18. Despite the legalization of soft drugs, Amsterdam is one of the safest cities in Europe.
19. It is said that when the "iron horse" comes into disrepair, this amsterdamets throws it into the channel, so the bottom of the most popular channels are literally littered with bicycles.
20. Red Light District in Amsterdam is officially called "De Wallen".
21 Amsterdam became the world's first city, which officially allowed gay marriage - it happened in 2001.
22. Parks and natural reserves Amsterdam constitute more than 12% of the total area of the city, but strong urbanization completely destroyed the natural landscape and landforms.
23. In the capital of the Netherlands is home to over 170 nationalities!
24. The Police Department, which is responsible for parking, only has armored glass, as there have been instances when irate motorists were very "unhappy" blockers on wheels.
25. You do not get to buy an apartment in the city center. You have to buy the whole house or several at once.
26. In the Amsterdam no audio free parking.
27. Prostitutes in Amsterdam, pay taxes, are social. package and their union.
28. In Amsterdam, there is a whole area of 18,000 floating houses, which are designed for 45,000 people. Some of them are placed on special piles.
29. The Dutch love to cook mashed potatoes (eten prakken). Not just from potatoes. They mulled any products. The best example of showing love to the Dutch sauce, a traditional dish shtamppot ( "stamppot"). It is made of green and different vegetables. Everything is cooked, then mulled and sausage crown. Some Dutch converted into some kind of a mess, even pasta and French fries.
30. In the Netherlands, the curtains wide open either all day or they do not. The Dutch always want to see what is outside? Try to let more light into the living room? Or simply do not want to buy curtains? Whatever the reason, it is clear that the Dutch have exposed. But do not try to be viewed through the window what they were doing. It is considered very rude.