Three grand abandoned theater in New York
• Three grandiose abandoned theater in New York
April 23, 1896 in New York City hosted the first American film session. 117 years later, we want to introduce you to the project by American photographer Matt Lambros (Matt Lambros), entitled After the Final Curtain ( "After the final curtain").
In this project, the author tells and shows the history of the abandoned American cinema, thanks to which we can trace the path of their former greatness, and great discoveries with the presence of stars to complete oblivion. His photographs depicting the decline and decay, clearly you can see the former luxury interiors and the importance of temples relatively young, but has become one of the most popular art form - cinema.
Cinema Shore Theatre to 2,387 seats was opened June 17, 1925 as part of the network Loew's theaters.
theater designed in the style of "Renaissance Revival" architecture Reilly & Hall company. traced marine theme in the decorations.
Foyer. The opening of the cinema gathered many stars of stage and screen at the time. The program opens showing of the film "The Sporting Venus" followed by a live performance of Siamese twins Daisy and Violet Hilton. According to the newspaper the crowd at the opening was so large that it had to beleaguer the police.
The theater was originally planned to display not only films, but also to vaudeville. Vaudeville soon went out of fashion, and show them no longer.
In the center of the ceiling shows a compass. However, over time, the compass of the theater fairly "lost." In 1964, the theater was handed over to the company Brandt, and a year later it was decided to refocus on live performances. The company tried to attract the attention of a large Jewish community in Brooklyn, selecting appropriate performances, but the attempt failed, and the theater has become a haven in a burlesque show. By the early 1970s, the theater returned to showing films, however, began to specialize in low-budget films doubtful "for adults". The theater finally closed in March 1973.
All the seats in the theater were dismantled, and the former ground floor converted into a room for a game of bingo.
cinema building facade in December 2010, has been declared a historical heritage, but his "innards" historical heritage are not and can be destroyed.
Cinema Kings Theatre to 3.676 seats was opened in Brooklyn, September 7, 1929. He also belonged to the Loew's famous network among the five so-called "Theater Loew's Wonderland" in New York.
Lobby. Cinema Kings became a place of love with their future profession for some well-known movie stars. Many celebrities who grew up in Brooklyn, including Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler, once worked here ushers.
Hardware theater. Loew's abandoned theater in August 1977, due to low attendance and high cost of its maintenance. Kings missed many blockbusters' 70s, such as "Jaws" and "Star Wars." Instead, it is mainly twisted films about kung fu and second-rate horror films that have not been able to attract the audience you need to ensure that the cinema remained afloat.
Already noticeably dilapidated, cinema was sold in 1979 and later moved to the city for the tax debts which bought his company.
Over the years, received a lot of proposals for reconstruction of the cinema. There was even an idea to transform part of the lobby in a wax museum. However, only recently became an official restoration plan.
February 2, 2010 the administration of New York announced the restoration of the theater project cost of US $ 70 million in partnership with ACE Theatrical Group of Houston. According to the project, by 2015 Kings Theatre begin to function as a performing arts center.
There are also plans to restore the interior of the internal space of the cinema in its original grandeur in 1929. Having opened after renovation, the cinema will become the third-largest in New York City.
46th Street Theatre
This cinema opened on 9 October 1927 under the name Universal Theatre. At the opening was attended by 25 thousand people. Less than a year Loew's Corporation acquired the cinema for 2,675 seats and closed it to update the sound equipment. The theater reopened its doors September 10, 1928 and has called Loew's 46th Street Theatre.
Design Theater on 42nd street engaged the architect John Eberson, famous for creating the so-called "weather" halls. He became the first "atmospheric" theater in New York. The audience had to imagine that they are in the night the Italian garden. Such an effect is created, first, by using the existing fountain.
And, secondly, by means of the projection of moving clouds on the ceiling, painted a bright blue. However, by the 40 th year of projection equipment broken and is no longer used.
In the early '70s cinema turned into a concert hall. During this period it managed to play many famous groups and performers, including The Byrds, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Bee Gees, and Randy Newman.
However, in 1973 the theater was closed under pressure from local residents who were dissatisfied with the noise from the concerts.
In the hardware theater bird lived for many years, which could not but affect the appearance of its walls and floor.
from one of the projectors used to be leaking oil and cans of cola, which was used for its collection of hanging here so far.
theater building was sold in 1974, a furniture company, which has used the auditorium for the storage of furniture and the lobby - for its demonstration. In 1996 the building was re-sold to the current owner - also a furniture company Regal Furniture.