100 facts about Turkey through the eyes of Russians
1. The Turkish Republic was proclaimed in 1923. 97% of the territory is in Asia and 3% in Europe.
2. The length from west to east - 1600 km, from north to south - 600 km. Surrounded by 4 seas. It shares borders with 8 countries.
3. The first humans domesticated cows in 7 millennium on the territory of modern Turkey, thus adding to your diet cow's milk. Prior to that, we drank goat.
4. Cemetery gladiators were the first (and so far only time) found in Turkey at Ephesus. It remains of 67 people were found, including conducted by surgery.
5. Aristotle Onassis was born in Smyrna (now Izmir). And made his first million in Buenos Aires, opening the company for Turkish tobacco.
6. In Turkey 33,400 archaeological sites and 440,000 historical and archaeological sites (think, much less in Italy and Greece).
7. Buying property in Turkey by Russian citizens is a sufficient condition for them to receive a residence permit.
8. Cross on which Jesus Christ was crucified, is now in the church of St. George in Istanbul.
9. All native-Turkish names are translated as the Indians. For example: Gökhan - Heaven Khan (ruler), Umüt - Hope, Yilmaz - Never surrendering, Aynur - Holy moonlight, Aysu - Lunar water.
10. The first picture Neolithic times have been found during archaeological excavations in Turkey. It also found the oldest known human settlements - 7000 years BC. e.
11. Local production of tea Turks established only in 1930, while in Turkey it was used from the I century BC. e.
12. In Turkey, Philip Morris recently started to produce 7 cm shorter cigarettes (Marlboro was - super) in order to reduce the time for smoke breaks. But the idea did not go. Demand was low. 13. In order to fill the car in Turkey, from it you can not go. On each column operate refueling and each distributing cashier terminal is equipped.
14. Tea, water, bread and some vegetables and cheese snacks in almost all the restaurants in Turkey are served free of charge.
15. Armenian shrine - Mount Ararat, where Noah's ark moored, located on the territory of Turkey.
16. The Turkish city Urzurum (now Erzerum) once visited Pushkin.
17. Two of the Seven Wonders of the World is located in Turkey - it is the Temple of Artemis and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus.
18. In Antalya the Russian consulate recorded more than 13,000 permanent residents of the Russian citizens.
19. aloe (Aloe kolahoe) bloom in Turkey every winter.
20. The word turquoise (turquoise) comes from Turkey. And due to the color of the Mediterranean Sea.
21. Turkey - a country that is stable part of the world top three for the price of gasoline.
22. As a result of the signing of the 4th paragraph of the agreement in December 1920 between the command of the Red Army and N. Makhno, the rebel army of Nestor Makhno had to be relocated to Turkey in military aid to the army of Mustafa Kemal in the war against England and Greece.
23. Vladimir Zhirinovsky speaks fluent Turkish.
24. The writer Yuri Shilov for his work titled "Turkish love or hot nights of the East" almost shlopotal Turkey honorary title of persona non grata.
25. At the time of the formation of the Turkish Republic (1923) there were 12 532 thousand. Man. According to the Turkish population according to 2005 census is 73 million.
26. The father of the Turks, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was born in Thessaloniki.
27. Legislative power in Turkey unicameral parliament consisting of 550 deputies. Parliament is elected every 4 years. Turkey's president is elected by universal suffrage for a term of 5 years with the possibility of re-election for one more term. 28. Tarkana deprived Turkish citizenship. Then issued again.
29. Tulip not originally from Holland, and Turkey. In Holland, tulip bulbs were brought by the Turks only in the XVI century.
30. Julius Caesar proclaimed his famous words "Vini, Vidi. Vici "in the 47th BC. e. after the victory over the kingdom of Pontus in the Black Sea region of Turkey.
31. "Lukoil" belong in Turkey about 700 filling stations.
32. For some reason, many believe that the greatest number of minarets - six - from the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. It is not true. At the Al-Haram mosque in Mecca, after the last renovation in the 80s, nine. Prior to that, there were seven.
33. nonsense spoken guides and guides, explaining that Turkey removed two crops of oranges per year. It's like a woman to give birth once every 4 months.
34. The Italian, Chinese, Japanese, American entrepreneurs selling marble, prefer to buy in the field Turkey (it is inexpensive, about $ 1 million. For volume production for a period of 80-140 years). Only Russian persistently carry the finished stone. Overpaying as a result in 5-6 times more expensive.
35. Such celebrities as the "father of history" Herodotus, the immortal author of "The Odyssey" and "Iliad" Homer, the Apostle Paul, teller Persian philosopher Omar Khayyam, fabulist Aesop, and even the mythical King Midas is originally from Asia Minor, which is now called Anatolia - present Turkey.
36. Turkey over ten ski resorts.
37. In Turkey religion is legally separate from the state. All churches have equal status. On the territory of the country is 78,000 mosques, 321 of the various Christian communities, and 39 synagogues.
38. Oceanarium, which opened in 2009, the year in Istanbul - the largest in Europe.
39. On the south shore (and not only) Turkey prohibited the construction of brick and prefabricated houses. 40. In 2006, during the writing of the album "On The Island", David Gilmour played without any posters and announcements in some bars Kas.
41. Turkey was not involved in World War II, while maintaining neutrality.
42. Where to go from Antalya to Ankara, the highway 10 kilometers across the coating changes from asphalt to concrete and extended time in 2. This area, about a kilometer in length, - a spare strip of combat aircraft in the event of armed conflict. These "airfields" in the country a lot.
43. The Turks as a nation have become so-called in 1923, after the proclamation of the Turkish Republic by Ataturk. Before that, they were called - Ottomans (or the Ottomans or the Ottoman Turks).
44. Tax on real estate in Turkey is 0, 3% of the cadastral value of the property. 1 is paid once a year.
45. Turkey produces 2 million. Cars per year. Assembly lines have firms Ford, Fiat, Peugeot, Toyota, Citroen and others. Many models of passenger cars sold in the Russian - Turkish production.
46. Meskhetian Turks as a nation formed on the territory of modern Georgia as a result of mass migration to the Ottoman Turks Meskheti in the XIII century, after the invasion of the Mongols and the campaign of Timur in 1395. Now the number of Meskhetians - about half a million people.
47. In Moscow, there is no decent Turkish restaurant.
48. Burial of Antiochus I in. Mount Nemrut National Park is the largest mound in the world. At an altitude of about 59, 8 meters it covers an area of 3 hectares.
49. A resident of Turkey's Sultan Kosen was the tallest man in the world as of the end of 2009. His height - 2 m 47 cm.
50. Russian-Turkish War era cover in 242 years. During the 1676-1918 biennium. It happened ten military conflicts. Military action in the Caucasus during the First World War can be considered the eleventh Russian-Turkish war. By the way, the decline of the Ottoman Empire occurred mainly as a result of these wars. 51. Oranges from Kas town (100 km from Antalya) in their qualities are among the best in the world.
52. In Turkey, held a race in Formula 1 and the stages of the World Rally Cup.
53. Some of the Russians, who have property and periodically living in Kemer, do not know a word in Turkish (in English and German too).
54. The share of industry in the national economy is around 28%, agriculture - 15%, construction - 6%, services - 51%.
55. Frunze was briefly the Ukrainian ambassador to Turkey. As a result of this, and as a result of signing 16.03.1921, in the Moscow Treaty of Friendship between Russia and Turkey, Turkey received assistance from Moscow in the form of: 39 000 rifles, 327 machine guns, 54 guns, 63 million bullets, 147,000 shells 100 000 sets of clothing, 62,000 pairs of shoes, 4,500 tons of food. As well as the construction of two factories of gunpowder and ammunition plant. So as fatty point - 10 mln gold (about 8 tons in terms of metal).. The Greeks, who conducted parallel negotiations with Lenin at the same time, still remember it with hiccups.
56. Spices, served in Europe during the Middle Ages for the preservation of meat, almost exclusively imported from Turkey. Highest their value as a result of the monopoly, have motivated the rapid development of navigation and the beginning of the Age of Discovery.
57. Russian artist Ivan Aivazovsky has the following awards of the Ottoman Empire: Order of "Nishan Ali" IV degree (1856), the Order of Osmania II degree (1874), Diamond medal (1880), Medzhizi Order of I degree (1890). He was eight times in Turkey, where he held a variety of exhibitions and donated a large amount of pictures.
58. Beycik village 15 km from Kemer - the most environmentally friendly (and for me - the most beautiful) in Turkey. 59. The bird-lizard-dragon Terminator Robocop Chimera, described by Homer in the "Iliad", based on the current mountain Tahtali, which currently carry tourists on the red wagons.
60. In Turkey, there are more than 100 kinds of minerals.
61. Istanbul - the only city in the world located on two continents: Europe and Asia. For thousands of years of history in Istanbul, he visited the capital of three great empires: Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman.
62. In Turkey, there were three military coups - in 1960, 1971 and 1980.
63. During the 75 years of history with the aircraft Turkish Airlines plane crash occurred three for international flights and 18 - on the inside.
64. In 1963, Christianity has identified the cave in Antakya region, where it is believed by many researchers to have preached the apostle Peter, as the first cathedral in the world.
65. Dervish taught rotation in dance very strict method. Between the fingers of the right supporting leg clamped driven into the floor nail, left pushes in a circle. Additional nails were filled also circumferentially between the central nail and the circumference of repulsion. Any loss of balance led to the fact that the dancer stepped on nails.
66. As evidenced by some sources, Mark Antony gave to Cleopatra as a wedding gift of land south-west coast of Turkey.
67. The youngest billionaires in Turkey '41. And he - Azerbaijani.
68. According to "Hurriyet" newspaper, Mikhail Prokhorov, who bought 184,000 square meters of Cesme. m of coast in the year 2007, too, wants to repeat the feat with the construction of Telman Ismailov seven-star hotel.
69. When the outcome of PN Wrangel from Sevastopol to Istanbul came 126 ships with 150,000 refugees.
70. Casino in Turkey was legalized in 1983. And in February 1998 - are closed. At the close of work 79 casinos with a total turnover in the country more than $ 14 billion. 71. The House of the Virgin Mary, where she spent her last days, is located on top of a mountain in Ephesus.
72. The novel "Murder on the Orient Express" was written at the Pera Palace Hotel in Istanbul in 1934, the year. The hotel's room 411, which is home to Agatha Christie, it is now a memorial museum. And in this hotel lived Alexander Vertinsky.
73. The English name of turkey - Turkey - Turkey has nothing to do.
74. The death penalty has been abolished in Turkey in 2001, although in reality not a single person was executed in 1984.
75. The currency in Turkey is easy to change, paying for any little thing in the big supermarkets. Will surrender at the rate of either the same or more favorable than the exchange offices.
76. Antalya Airport - one of the few with Duty Free shops at the outlet.
77. The population census is not conducted in Turkey on national structure, so national population coverage is limited. It is assumed that in Turkey lives over 20 Mill. Kurds from 1 to 2 Mill. Caucasian peoples, 0, 5 million Arab about 40 thousand. Armenian and about 70 thousand. Jews.
78. The coffee was originally imported from Yemen to Istanbul. It was only later spread to Europe.
79. One of the options for passing the zero meridian at the time was the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.
80. pants tourists in resort areas with a request to go to measure up pulled in largely Turks and immigrants from the former Soviet Union, which, however, may be submitted to the Turks.
81. In the modern Turkish language borrowed many French words and little to no English.
82. On top of the power (17th century), the Ottoman Empire occupied the territory of today's Caucasian republics, the South of Ukraine, virtually the entire Middle East, including the Islamic holy sites of Mecca and Medina, Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Morocco, and the whole of the Balkans, Hungary and Slovakia. 83. The first stories of Hodja Nasreddin were recorded in Turkey in the 16th century writer and poet "Jami Rum" Lamia. Nasreddin - a real character who lived in the years 1208-1284. in eastern Turkey.
84. Military marches are one hundred percent Turkish roots. Fashion for military orchestral music was born with the penetration into Europe Janissary marches in the 18th century, and was reflected in the works of Haydn, Beethoven and Mozart.
85. Yogurt, though is the Turkish name and sverhpopulyaren in Turkey, come all, even from Bulgaria.
86. The Turkish community living in Germany, is from 2: 8 to 3, 2 million. People, not counting tourists. Its annual growth rate of 1, 2-1, 5% per year.
. 87. About 10, 5 thousand years ago, the oldest currently known urban settlements - Çatalhöyük appeared in south-western Turkey.
88. One of the first accurate maps of the planet was created by Turkish cartographers in 1513 The map with the amazing accuracy of the displayed Europe, Asia, Africa, and open at the time of the Americas, as well as those places that were open early navigators after the creation of maps.
89. Bridge Ataturk (Bosphorus Bridge) - one of the longest suspension bridges of the world. Its length is 1560 meters and the length of the main span 1074 meters and a height above the roadway with water of about 64 meters.
90. In Turkey, at the entrance to almost any private home take off your shoes and leave it beyond the threshold.
91. Cats that live on the shores of Lake Van in Turkey, adapted to the water. They may be in it for a long time, catching small fish and mollusks. Van cats even sleep in the lake from the comfort of shallow places.
92. The Mediterranean coast of Turkey is on the same latitude with Seoul, Tokyo and San Francisco.
93. The Seljuks created a first in the history of the state insurance system to cover losses of traders. 94. The number of species of flower in Turkey reaches 9000; one third of them -.. are endemic, ie found nowhere else. For comparison: in Europe the number of species - 11,500.
95. Turkey is the only one in the world outside of the US plant for the production of F-16 aircraft.
96. Turkey is one of the safest countries in the world in the number of criminal offenses
97. In the city of Mardin is still possible to hear the native language of Jesus Christ - Aramaic.
98. Two-thirds of the Turkish population is under 35 years old.
99. At present, Turkish is spoken by about 90 million people in the world.
100. All these facts about Turkey printed in the Taiwan computer while the light bulbs under the Dutch prihlobyvanie Italian coffee Russian man.