20 of the most common questions about cigars
Many smokers want as quickly as possible to learn the basics of cigar. In the process of obtaining this knowledge is very often caused the most basic questions: how to ignite a cigar? How to taste it? What is the norm, and that - a defect?
Experienced aficionados often question their understanding of certain nuances of cigar production and tasting. They want to know the subject more deeply and understand it all better. And therefore ask themselves difficult and complex, the answers to which are not on the surface. And the more they learn, the better they realize how little they know.
Whether you are a beginner or the experienced aficionado, for you basic questions sigarovedeniya will always stay relevant - never closed. It is the answers to such "trivial" questions make it clear how difficult may be an explanation of the elementary at first sight phenomena and how easy and accessible as possible to answer the most difficult questions.
1. It seems my cigars retain moisture. Is it worth it to taste?
- Do not be. If the cigar is too dry, most likely, it will be uninteresting taste. Balanced level of humidity is required just to cigar fully demonstrated its potential vkusoaromatiki. By "dry" cigar storage deteriorates: scents evaporate gradually changes the chemical composition of the sheet. On the contrary, too moisturized cigar will be more aggressive in its characteristics since, as the combustion decomposition of a relatively large volume of water will lead to the formation of irritating the mucous compounds. Burning will, accordingly, the worse, the more hydrated cigar. But the biggest problem is a significant difference between the moistened wrapper and filling. Too wet wrapper will burn more slowly than the binder leaf and filling, and it can lead to burning in the shape of the tunnel. This situation is usually the result of rapid hydration when the cigar has undergone a sudden change in the humidity and it was not given sufficient time to ensure that a certain level of humidity has spread throughout her body.
2. My cigar is too thick. I've heard it's bad?
- Most aficionados believe that dense cigar will not pull out of an overabundance of leaves. This is not always the case. If the quality of raw materials optimum cigar solid because of its strong kostruktsii, and it will retain its good structure during combustion. Too soft a cigar, on the contrary, shows a part of the residual fat bags - a consequence of incomplete fermentation. At high temperatures, these residual fats lead to a change in the structure of a cigar. Although sometimes excessive hardness may actually be a consequence of excessive filling moisturized at the time of twisting or insufficient maturity sheet. In this case, the leaves dry up after the stranding, and a cigar "harden."
3 cigars body - some strange forms. This is normal?
- It is not normal! Besides the fact that this cigar is ugly and therefore clearly has a twist error, it can become a problem for the tasting. Well twisted cigar should be firm and have a uniform cylindrical shape. Bad twist will lead to a distortion of the diameter of a cigar and / or tobacco disparities in different parts of the cigar on its length. More or less sunken areas of low density are called leaves baches ( "pothole" - isp.). Major damage in this case to apply traction.
4. A shiny wrapper - the best, is not it?
- No, it's not. Optimal sheet gloss level shall be the average, ie there should be no excess brightness or its complete absence. Oversupply of light (and is a rare item) can be a consequence of the high content of remaining sheet oils, waxes and resins. This happens when the fermentation was carried out inconsistently, wrong or incomplete. Excessive oiliness cover is proof of infringement or lack of fermentation. On the other hand, usually lack of gloss indicates excessively long process of drying and / or fermentation, or the wrong temperature conditions under which these processes are carried out. Another reason may be deposited in the wrong mode is too dry, resulting in excessive condensation and evaporation irreversible process oils and waxes. can be added to complete the picture, that the level of lubricity of the sheet may vary depending on the following factors: tobacco variety, soil characteristics, climatic conditions (rain and sun), which were observed during the growth of plants, the harvest Is collected before or after the onset of biological maturity plants, a small amount of water contained in the leaves at the time when they were collected.
5. What do the spots on the wrapper? This affects the taste of the cigar?
- Indeed, several types of stains may appear on the cover sheet, and the effect of a given type on tasting quality may be different. Green spots - is preserved chlorophyll pigments are not eliminated by successive stages of processing tobacco leaves. This happens due to improper drying (too fast and "hot") or due to small physical wounds on the plant, which is accumulated in a larger amount of chlorophyll. The presence of chlorophyll can not be considered beneficial in relation to the characteristics of aromatic cigars. The same spots, but yellow is said about the lack of moisture during the drying process, which can lead to thickening in places yellowish pigment. The color remains the same and during fermentation. Summarizing, it can be said that a different pigmentation has no influence on the taste and flavor characteristics of the tobacco sheet, in any case, positive. If the drying process is, on the contrary, at too high moisture level, this leads to incomplete elimination of starch and sugars from the tobacco leaf.
As a result, the yellow pigment spots become black during the subsequent fermentation. In the leaves dried in this manner will be disagreeable flavor because of excessively high concentrations of irritating substances (sugars and starch). And finally, are white. Very unpleasant visually, but do not bring any harm to the quality of the final product, these spots can appear for two reasons. Small round white spots - pinta de ajonjoli ( "sesame seeds." - Spanish) are the result of a fungal disease called Cercospora (tserkospora). This fungus is fed brown leaf chlorophyll, without destroying the fabric. These spots, while reducing the concentration of chlorophyll in the leaves, do not have a detrimental effect on the taste of the cigar. Large white patches with indistinct outline - is a sign that the green leaves of the plant have been exposed to a fungal disease called moho azul ( "blue mold" - App.). The concentration of such spots along the core cover sheet demonstrates systemic attack moho azul, while stains are not adjacent to the cover on the veins indicate the local problems. Detrimental to green leaves, this mold can be harmless to the sheet brown if fermentation was correctly chosen algorithm.
6. If streaks cover darker than the leaf itself, is this normal?
- No, this is a defect. The difference in color between the fabric cover sheet and nerves appears as a result of improperly conducted drying. Veins and the surface surrounding them are darker, only if they contain a larger amount of water than the other portion of the sheet. This defect which appears as a result of incomplete drying, but emphasizes the subsequent fermentation.
7. Why cover cigars are clearly visible bands, different tint? It's the same list?
- This is a consequence of the fact that during the drying process in different parts of the sheet support different moisture levels. When the leaves are hanging in a drying house, they are connected so that their bases are in contact tightly, but rather between the bottom of the air circulates freely. Accordingly, the bottom sheet humidity will be lower and its color is subsequently reflect. The problem with non-uniform color of the sheet may also occur due to the fact that during fermentation leaves will tightly contact with one side (here, they will be darker, as the fermentation process herein will go intense) than the other. Such heterogeneity wrapper exhibits color heterogeneity of its chemical composition which, in turn, is an indication of defective aromatic characteristics.
8. My cigar some nearomatny cover. Should I change it?
- No, I should still try it. Sometimes the cover sheet is too faint fragrance, so it does seem that a part or even the entire range of aromatic cigar is clearly lacking. We draw in the air, but the expected bunch does not feel or no felt our noses. For obvious reasons, it upsets us. But in fact, even the poor aromatic nezazhzhonny cover can demonstrate good aromatics during burning cigar. What does it depend? Of course, the lack of aromatics cover may be the first sign of poor sheet ordinary cigar. The sheet was held too long fermentation or fermentation at extremely high temperatures, or simply a poor grade of tobacco. Sometimes everything is easier: storage of cigars improperly led to the impoverishment of aromatics (it was too dry or the surrounding material interrupted her cigar smell).
9. My cigar strange smell. What is the reason?
- Most likely, you are referring to the smell of ammonia. Such odor gives usually cigar, which leaves ill "breathe" after fermentation and / or twist. Ammonia - a product which appears in the leaves only in the fermentation stage. Its presence indicates that the process is still going on in the leaves, or the fact that he was finished recently.
10. Why circumcision cigars so much attention?
- Because it is very important for the quality of the tasting. Made a pair of scissors, gilotinkoy, punch, circumcision should be clean. Indecision or poor-quality cutting can damage the cover, he starts to unfold, which has a detrimental effect on the further process. Circumcision is too dry cigar can also lead to the fact that "rasstegnotsya" cover. Further. The diameter of the cut determines the rate of smoking, and even more: the very small hole can interfere with normal draft.
11. How should I stir up your cigar?
- It's easy. Proper ignition must relate to the full cross-section of the cigar (the outer edge). If any leaves are nezazhzhonnymi process begins unevenly, and the cigar will suffer initially unbalanced burning. Such a defect can be corrected by itself in the further combustion, but it is better to fix it by re-ignition. Finally, it is recommended to stir up a cigar natural fire - wooden matches, splinter or a gas lighter.
12, it is normal when the cigar goes out several times during the smoking?
- No, not normally. Cigar that goes out several times, obviously has a serious problem with the burning. What are the possible causes?
• bad fermentation, resulting in the fact that the leaves remained excessive amount of protein (nitrogen components) or negative elements, such as chloro; • too tightly twisted cigar (surplus sheet cigar) or too poor porosity sheet can lead to limited access of air into the combustion hearth;
• too high level of humidity in the leaves (over 15% relative humidity).
13. Black ash - is that bad?
- Not always. The reasons for this may be two: the chemical composition of nonideal tobacco leaf or poor physical burning. Both leads to incomplete combustion of organic matter, and shows black cigar ashes. The main reason - insufficient fermentation, which leaves undesirable organic compounds inside the sheet, which subsequently adversely affect the combustion. Although sometimes it just goes to show a deficit of some soil components, such as magnesium. This cigar can show a little bad taste, and then it's really a problem.
14. If you have to put effort in to be delayed, it is normal?
- The problem - shortness of thrust - definitely negatively affect the quality of the tasting. Aficionados falls too "try", while obtaining a small amount of smoke. The most common of them - the use of an excessive amount of leaves in the stage of formation of the pupa (filling, tied with a connecting sheet). Also cause poor draft may become nodules or seals, which are formed due to improper location of the filling in a cigar body. Perhaps carelessly leaves were twisted immediately before bonding them wrapped in a sheet.
15. My cigar burns unevenly. What to do?
- If one side of the cigar burns faster than the other, it may be caused by the following:
• cigar was unevenly lit;
• she faulty design;
• thick vein combustion process slows with some side; • too moistened leaves some cigars;
• strong air currents is deformed combustion structure.
Perfect smooth combustion at well twisted cigars, passed the correct fermentation should take place uniformly throughout the tasting. If combustion is too uneven, re-ignition, as a rule, is able to correct the situation.
16. Immediately after the column of ash and burning ring I see on the cover of the black charred area. What is it? This is normal?
- No, it's not normal and even bad! This brilliant black gummy ring - the result of the concentration of nitrogen-containing substances in the chemical composition of the sheet. In other words, in this case, it was not enough to cover the fermentation. This cigar, as a rule, will be very bitter.
17. I feel that my cigar strongly bitter. Is it good or bad?
- Poorly. This strong and unpleasant sensation on the palate and the back of the back of the throat, usually caused by the presence of too many proteins that remain due to improper drying or fermentation. Unfortunately, this problem is very common. If bitterness is felt strongly, that the pleasure of tasting becomes, on the contrary, in torment and can permanently turn away from such a cigar aficionado.
18. I feel that my cigar is very strong. How can I verify this?
- Ask how to characterize the fortress of the cigar its manufacturer. Fortress depends on the amount of a certain sheet type selected for the bags. Ligero leaves from the upper tier of the tobacco bush give cigar fortress. The fortress is regarded as an objective parameter that is all tasted cigar aficionado should evaluate its castle is approximately the same. On a scale of 0 to 10 on average fortress cigar, respectively, estimated at 5 balllov. 6, 5, or 7 - starting from this strong cigars. It is interesting to note that the classification leaves the factory contains a total of 4 levels of the fortress. 1st - the most powerful.
19. feels some bitterness, but only as long as a cigar in his mouth on my lips. This is normal?
- This light bitterness - a sign that fermentation cover ended just before the optimum moment. Some aficionados even like it. But if the feeling is too strong, it is, of course, unpleasant. Sometimes it can also be a sign of dampness cover.
20. Is it possible to store cigars in daylight?
- No, this should be avoided. The correct way to store a complete blockade of cigars from getting to it direct light. Too much light, which constantly falls directly on a cigar, a bad influence on her veil. Its beauty will suffer - the color becomes dull, and part of the aromatics evaporate. Will cover the land and, therefore, will be more fragile.