59 facts about Italy through the eyes of Russians
Italy - just amazing (though quite expensive) for tourism country. It should be a time to visit here as fall in love with all these tiny ancient little town, lost in the hills of Tuscany, stunning sea views, food, art, ruins and much, much more.
But still it would be desirable, though a bit messy, tell it about living in Italy. The eyes of the Russian people and his fellow immigrants. All generalizations are conditional - of course, to cut general all Italians with the same brush properly. Text, mainly on the southern regions of Italy, although much is also true for the North.
1. In Italy, a real cult of food. About food can talk for hours - on the telephone, on the street and, of course, at the table. Omnivorous student make it very difficult. The question "What did you eat today?" Meets as often as the question "How are you?", And usually answers to these questions are the same. Poor ate - a tragedy, ate well - will be something to discuss with anyone, even unfamiliar person at the meeting.
2. Italian like probably all tourists. But also from her sometimes you want to relax. It is unlikely that you will immediately find restaurants with cuisine of other nations. They say that in the north there are more, but in Rome, on the strength of three empty expensive Japanese restaurant. However, McDonald's and Chinese restaurants has not been canceled :)
3. And this is not only a problem for those who want to "just eat". The Italian restaurant dinner lasts exactly one hour - from 12-30 to 13-30, 19-30 after dinner. God forbid you get hungry after two. Snack sandwich bar or look for McDonald's - all you will do. All the other restaurants (except, perhaps, the most despicable "tourist") will be tightly closed.
4. There are certain rules for the use of products, tourists often violate them, for which Italians can and ridicule. And not a little angry: - Cappuccino drink only relies morning. Order a cup at dinner means to tears laughing bartender and visitors.
- eat salad after a hot, rather than as a snack.
- In no event it is impossible to combine the fish with cheese (Parmesan cheese and pour on pasta with seafood). What is typical - but the melon with ham - it please, it is how much you want!
- The worst thing that you can do in relation to the Italian cuisine - pizza or pasta to fill ketchup. If it sees an Italian, you will be forever cursed and excommunicated from the Italian culture. And yet, never told the Italians that use pasta as a side dish!
5. tourists attitude passive neglect. A person with good looks and non-Italian with a foreign accent gets scornful glances, evil suspicions, and most poor-quality ham in the shop. Or, for example, if you order a coffee in English, it can cost you twice as much as usual.
6. In general, the first question asked each other strangers here: "Where are you from?" And it's not so much a way to strike up a conversation as a prerequisite for communication - to label at him. Stereotypes of the mass of all nationalities - "Russian", "Americans", "French" - and it is certainly not a purely Italian phenomenon;)
7. The problem is that it is impossible to convince the Italians. "Russian women are only interested in the money" and "The Russian wild chill" - for them it is self-evident, and no stories about the fact that not all marry foreigners for the sake of wealth, and summer temperatures, we can reach up to 40 degrees, they do not interesting.
8. In Russia, many flatly refuse to go. See the previous point about the cold. Somehow, words such as "middle latitudes", "warm clothes", "Black Sea" did not act on them :)
9. However, all this does not prevent a friendly chat with you. 10. The funny thing is that the labels Italians hung not only on the people of other countries, but also to residents of other cities of Italy. But we need to talk about this in more detail.
11. Italy, as we usually imagine it - a single boot with the center in the Eternal City - simply does not exist. The simplest division - backward provincial South and industrial North (northerners are constantly demanding independence from the South of Italy).
12. But this division is rather arbitrary. In fact, after the unification of Italy in a single country in the middle of the XIX century, all of these small principalities, counties, protectorates and mini-republic, from which to date have remained except the Vatican and San Marino, continue to live in the Apennines with their lives. Each rundown town with a population of more than 500 people - not just their own, unlike the other story, but its architecture, cuisine and dialect.
13. Large area and the city (such as Tuscany, Lazio, Calabria and so on. D.), Among other things, have a stable reputation in regard to the nature of their inhabitants. "Of course, it is not you call it the same of Venice," "He's not sad, it just from Piedmont, where all these", "it's gone and the consumer magazine, it is produced in Milan!" - in these judgments, with the the point of view of the Italians, 100 percent logic.
14. Therefore, the Italian two strangers, meeting, first of all find out where each of them (if not immediately guessed appearance and dialect), and permanently bonded to the other party appropriate label. How would an Italian nor behave in the future for another Italian, he will not be forever, "Paolo from the finance department," or "Paolo, who divorced" and "Paolo bolonets".
15. I think you have not much surprised, that for the residents of different cities secured certain names. A man named Gennaro Pasquale or one hundred percent probability Neapolitan. A girl named Prisca or Lavinia may be just out of Rome. There are, of course, and obscheitalyanskie geographically neutral names like Francesco and Mario, but the true patriots of the region call their children names traditional for the area. 16. As a nation Italians feel that they are in two situations - when watching the matches of the World Cup / Europe and abroad - as a part of the group of tourists, looking for where to drink a decent espresso, or at a reception at the Italian Embassy first 20 minutes :)
17. Nevertheless, the similarities (at least for most of the country) are available. For example, just amazing infantilism Italians. Italians are by and large - small children, very cute and funny, but do not expect them to adult behavior. It may, of course, to blame the education system and the economy. Or maybe something else, is not sure that someone knows the reason :)
18. Firstly, the majority of Italians so-called "generazione di 1000 euro" ( "Generation 1000 Euros" - refers to the current average salary, which can expect young people) live with their parents up to 35-40 years, and this is normal! Leaving the same paternal house, settle somewhere nearby, and often remain in the same house, and my mother continued to wash and iron their shirts, to get out and bring food.
19. I note, by the way: the most sacred person for every Italian - it mamma, especially if you know how to aspirate they utter this word. This is not surprising, considering the previous point :)
20. Second (back to the infantilism), check out the Institute in Italy, made after 30. If by some miracle you managed to do it before you will be considered almost a prodigy.
21. In general, the term "young people" are very blurry. Young people called somewhere 35-40 years.
22. Marry to 25 years is generally considered foolish. Before you issue the relationship, the couple met many years. If the marriage was unsuccessful, a divorce will not work - to "think" is given for three years, divorce proceedings can last up to 10 years.
23. Another nice feature. Italians do not understand the phrase "do not sit on the steps - chill." To them, it sounds as ridiculous as baby for us, "Mom, do not smoke - the legs will fall off." Afterward, many suffer radiculitis. No comments. 24. The Italians are very scattered. Highly. Forget the suitcase in a hotel or somewhere at the airport - it is in order.
25. The Italians, being, in principle, the people happy and cheerful, have a strange habit to fall into melancholy, if the street is overcast and rain. And they panic fear of the cold. Bad weather quite seriously upsets these sensitive people with a thin mental organization :)
26. Another characteristic feature of the Italians - just a terrible slowness and total rasslabon. National motto Italians - the expression "piano-piano", which means "slowly", "without haste". And it's a lot of things.
27. They have an innate inability to rapid decision-making. And why hurry? It's so hard - just something to plan and decide. Therefore, very often, going to dinner, the Italians do not make appointments directly in the restaurant, but somewhere on the street - in order to decide where to go! Given their constant tardiness and habit of chatting is not the case for hours in an evening run the risk of going hungry for very long ...
28. Remember that what the Italians themselves ironically called "salamelecchi" and "chiacchierate", namely a lengthy welcome, plenty of introductory words and suggestions, doubts, and detailed descriptions of irrelevant details, set a distance, spreading the idea of the tree, scenic shy away from the topic (mainly in the direction of food theme and the subtleties of mental state of the speaker) and painfully long farewell - as an integral part of the conversation, as well as the actual essence of the conversation, which, as you can see, for all these often lost;)
29. Typical of Russian emigrants case: arranged to meet at the bar great company around 20:00 and go to the disco. Russian often comes to 19-45. Italians start ringing at 20:30 and say a little linger. In fact, it means someone is chatting with friends on the street, while others have not yet taken a shower. At about half past nine people begin to drive up, and all together are going to eleven. Before discos to go for five minutes, no more, but the whole company gets there closer to twelve. The main thing is that no one on this account not steamed. 30. "piano-piano" I would like to mention, and the Italian bureaucratic edifice. Russian man is not to surprise the giant pandemonium reoccupation queue at 4 am, the schedule of work "Thursday from 10 to 12" and the endless running around from one office to another.
31. the necessary documents have to wait sometimes for years. The cases that I heard - permesso (residence permit) - one and a half years old, college degree - (!) 4 years, a passport for a child - 12 years old.
32. In general, Russian (especially Muscovites) if it enters into Italy from time to time there is an overwhelming desire to press the button rewind.
33. Go ahead. There is a reluctance to a wholesale non-immigrants work in unskilled work. Skilled jobs are hard to find.
34. The ultimate dream - to get a job to some his kinsman and receive those same 1,000 euros, especially without straining. Actually, it is normal when receiving the post of the general director, the Italian leading company in all his relatives.
35. Shops are open until 19:30, while having a lunch break from 12 to 16. On Saturday most shops shortened day. Sunday - closed. They say that in Milan there are shops that work on Sunday. It is very unusual for Italy.
36. But as is typical, so it is the answer to my question "Why do stores do not work on Monday?" - "Because sellers have a rest after Sunday."
37. Metro in Rome small - only two branches (in Milan - three), one of which is open until 21:00. Metro is quite modest, Muscovites would even say "shabby". All cars izrisoval graffiti.
38. Romans complain about the work of the buses that are often late, and sometimes they do not come. The strikes that take place here almost every week for half a day can freeze the work of public transport.
39. While, for example, night buses, which you dovezut to all parts of Rome - it is such a luxury that can be in your own dream for me, Peter;) 40. But let us continue the Italians. The relation to tourists goes hand in hand with a small-town exaggerated patriotism and glorification of his own small country, no matter how small in size it may be.
41. The move from town to town rarely and reluctantly. About to fall down abroad, I have never heard conversations. However, overseas travel.
42. Most of the foreign language of Italians do not know and study them hard do not want to. Russian immigrants, for example, can not get their husbands to learn at least an elementary communicate in Russian.
43. Although to their credit - as a child Italian masters actually two languages: his native dialect (from the cradle) and Italian literature at school.
44. All of this together creates, unfortunately, the reluctance of Italians to know other cultures. Indeed, when your town (with a corresponding set in the bargain - a football team, a dialect, landscape and local cuisine) for you the highest standard and a matter of pride, it is logical that other cities and countries for you automatically are at a lower level.
45. The Italian travels just to make sure his native Bari much better in New York, Barcelona or Marrakech. Cultural attractions of other countries Italians amuse, but never cause awe. The phrase guide "It is the oldest church in the city, she was 500 years old," or "This is the largest art gallery in the country," cause (good reason, however) in Italian tourists indulgent smile and offer the guide to go to Rome or Florence.
46. The Italians themselves say that the tourist services in their country is too expensive and of poor quality, and many prefer to relax in Croatia, Egypt and tropical countries.
47. In all of Italian cinema in the middle of the film turns on the light, the film breaks off in mid-sentence, and on the screen appears the inscription "Intervallo". Five-minute break. 48. There is a certain class of media-persons, which are called "Velino". This beautiful girl, who at various talk shows worked as an assistant - tray of water or the participants the required props and periodically when the presenter announces a break in the debate, they go on stage and dance. Velin profession is considered one of the most prestigious, and most Italian girls quite seriously dream about the fate barelegged dancing nymphs TV screen. Their Life Interests yellow edition, their worship, they marry a famous footballer.
49. The Italian men have good taste and always stylishly dressed, good in Italy is to have all the possibilities.
50. All the windows are equipped with shutters that close at night muffled. The reasons are many - this heat savings, and too close proximity of the houses to each other, and the habit of falling asleep with the windows closed tightly, and typically Italian "so accepted."
51. Paradoxically, the Russian living in Italy are freezing in their apartments, both in Milan and in Rome have central heating, but according to the law, whether central or not, the house temperature should not exceed 22 ° and the heating can be kept on for at more than a certain number of hours per day. Each condominium decides what it will be hours (eg, 6-9 and 17-23). In fact, the temperature in the 15 Italian house - is the norm.
52. In Italian universities there is no campus and dorm - all rented accommodation as they can.
53. Catch a taxi or a ride unreal.
54. Many Italians are superstitious. How does the presence of all sorts of "magicians" and povalny combines Catholicism - only God knows.
55. In Italy, the unlucky number - 17.
56. Piano in Italian sounds like "pyanoforte".
57. A separate line would like to mention the Italian legislation. Italians love to complain about taxes, the payment of their many active prevaricate. A tax is imposed on virtually everything, including a hike in the woods for mushrooms. Coupled with unclear laws simple tourist (it is impossible to draw with chalk on the pavement, you can not bring home the sea water and so on. D.), We get quite a colorful picture. 58. Life expectancy in Italy: men - 74, women - 81 year. And the number of centenarians is growing. Officials are concerned about the load, which in the future may lie in the pension fund, and now looking for a way out of a situation that might get a couple of decades.
59. And finally. Judging from the stories about life in Milan, the capital of Italy is located there. :)